The Link Public Transportation is at full normal operations for all service. We continue to closely monitor state and federal health authority guidance in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak. We understand the important role that public transportation plays for many in our community and are balancing those needs with how we operate to keep our many vulnerable riders healthy. Our drivers have masks for use if needed.
These guidelines are subject to change based on our available staff and guidance from health authorities.
Hours of Operation
- Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Saturday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Closed on Sundays and all Federally observed all holidays.
The LINK public transit is available for anyone and everyone! Schedule a ride to work, school, appointments, shopping, entertainment, or other activities. The LINK operates lift-equipped buses to serve customers who require the use of a wheelchair, or have difficulty negotiating steps. View our Rider Etiquette/ Basic Rules here.
- Summer Pool and Farmers Market Bus, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays: Free rides for kids and their parents to the pool and farmers market. All other rides taken on the bus to other destinations pay $1.50 fare or use their GOrge Pass Summer 2022 Swim and Market Bus Schedule
- Dial-a-Ride: The dial-a-ride, door-to-door public transportation operates Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM and on Saturday from 9:00 AM- 4:00 PM. Trips are $1.50 each way, scheduled in advance and may include other passengers going to different destinations. We pick up riders in the communities of The Dalles, Dufur, Mosier, Celilo and points between in unincorporated Wasco County. Call the LINK at 541-296-7595 to schedule a ride today! For best availability, please call at least 24 hours in advance.
- The Dalles and Hood River Shopping Bus: The shopping bus offers door-to-door service to grocery stores and shopping centers in The Dalles on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Cost is $3.00 for unlimited stops with no shopping bag limit. Our drivers will help load and unload your bags (bags must be under 25 pounds). On the 1st Friday and the 3rd Wednesday of each month, the shopping bus visits Hood River. Call 541-296-7595 to schedule your ride.
- South County Shuttle: The LINK has a shuttle every Tuesday that picks up riders in Maupin, Tygh Valley and Dufur for a few hours of shopping and appointments in The Dalles. This service is $5.00 round trip for pickups in Maupin and Tygh Valley and $3.00 round trip for pickups in Dufur. View details about the South County Shuttle here.
- Celilo-Lone Pine Service: Dial-a-Ride is available! Book by calling 541-296-7595. $3 for roundtrip service.
- Free Rides to and from COVID-19 Vaccination Appointments: Need your COVID-19 vaccine? The Link offers free round-trip rides to vaccination sites in The Dalles. Just let your driver know when you board. Hop on our two routes in The Dalles or call 541-296-7595 for dial-a-ride service.
- Students Ride for Free: All high school students in The Dalles can ride for free, whether it is for school or entertainment. To schedule give us a call or meet our drivers at our fixed route locations! You must present your Student ID. K-8 Students also ride for free with a paying adult (Only applicable for school services).
- Text Alerts. Sign up here to receive text alerts to your phone about service notifications from The Link Public Transit, such as holiday closures or weather-related changes.
Ride The LINK to connect to these regional transportation providers:
- Connect to Columbia Area Transit for service to Hood River and Portland.
- Connect to Mount Adams Transportation Service for service to Goldendale and to access their bus route loop around The Dalles.
- Connect to Greyhound for trips to Hood River, Portland and points east of The Dalles.
All Fixed Routes now accept the GOrgePass!
Drivers accept tickets, cash (please have exact change) or mobile tickets with the Passage Transit Ticketing app. Tickets and ticket books can be purchased with cash, checks or credit cards at The Dalles Transit Center at 802 Chenowith Loop Road, The Dalles, Oregon.
Passage Transit Ticketing is a free app you can use to buy tickets with your smartphone anytime, anywhere. To use:
- Download: Search for “Passage Transit Ticketing” in the App Store or Google Play Store and download.
- Purchase: Tap “Buy Passes”, then choose The LINK from the list of agencies. Next, select your ticket type (One Ride Ticket or 10 Ride Booklet). Your information will be safe and secure in the Passage app. You can buy as many passes as you want and use them at your leisure.
- Activate: When you are about to get on a LINK bus, just activate the pass, then show the screen to your driver. Passes are valid for twenty minutes after activation and can be opened without any internet connection.
Call 541-296-7595 to schedule. Rides may be scheduled one to thirty days in advance. Service is first-come, first-served, so call ahead for best availability. We will make every effort to fulfill all requests for rides if possible. Designated stop times are when the bus leaves the stop. Our buses will leave without you if you are not at the designated stops on time. Be aware that if you have arrived at the stop BEFORE the designated stop time and you do not see a bus, traffic may have delayed the bus.
Please make cancellations as soon as you know you do not need your ride. You can call the office any time and leave a message for our scheduling staff. If you fail to cancel a ride before the scheduled pick-up time, you will be considered a No Show.
Link services are guided by the Wasco County Public Transportation Advisory Committee. Learn more about the PTAC here.
The Wasco County Transit Development Plan (2023 – 2043) has been fully approved and adopted!
Contact the office at 541-296-7595 for information regarding services for transporting children.
Drivers return all lost items to the Transit Center office. After thirty days, unclaimed items are disposed or donated.
Title VI and Complaint Forms
Mid-Columbia Economic Development District (MCEDD) complies with Title VI and Title VI obligations and protections against discrimination afforded to the public. You can view our Title VI policy or file a complaint using the attached form and return to Deputy Director Kate@mcedd.org
ADA Reasonable Modifications
The LINK Public Transit is committed to providing safe, reliable, courteous, accessible and user-friendly services to our customers. To ensure equality and fairness, we will make reasonable modifications to our policies, practices and procedures to avoid discrimination and ensure programs and services are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Whenever feasible, a request for modification to our service should be made in advance, before the LINK is expected to provide the service. To request a modification, please contact Jesus Mendoza at 541-296-2266 ext. 1101, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.